OpenMath: Pointers to Related Information
Please report corrections or omissions to
To Be Continued
- the ACM Special Interest Group "Symbolic and Algebraic Manipulation"
- Symbolic Mathematical Computation Information Center; includes
references to information on most computer algebra systems.
- Computer Algebra Information Network (operated by CAN) is a server
with similar material.
- Common Open Software Environment; includes ToolTalk, ICCCM
- Knowledge Query and Manipulation Language, part of the
Knowledge Sharing Effort
Related efforts pointed to by this site include:
- Common Intelligent Agent Services Specification
- Knowledge Representation Specification Language
- Knowledge Interchange Format
- A paper on "An ontology for engineering mathematics" built using
- OMG's (Object Management Group's) CORBA (Common Object Request
Broker Architecture) specification
- Standard Generalized Markup Language
- Text Encoding Initiative P3 files; contains "A Gentle Introduction
- HTML+ and HTML 3
- Hypertext Markup Language (proposed extensions, including support for
representing mathematical formulae).
- a 16 bit multilingual character set (closely related to the
ISO 10646 standard).
- Open Distributed Processing (Reference Model)
- There are several joint ISO/OSI and
ITU (was: CCITT)
Draft International Standards available. Their numbers: ISO 10764-1 through
ISO 10764-5, ITU-T X.901 through X.905.
- CAS/PI, ASAP, Central Control
ASAP (A Simple ASCII Protocol), and Central Control are projects of Project
Central Control is also described in
- Multi Protocol: A paper was presented at ISSAC 94, and slides on MP are
available in the proceedings of the
Second OpenMath Workshop.
- Posso/XDR 4 documentation is available as
PoSSo's WWW server contains
additional information on it (see Overview, 1st Newsletter).
- is described in the
- MathLink is Mathematica's
Scientific Data Formats
- is the catch-word for formats used for archiving measurements and
analyses connected with experiments in the natural sciences,
discussed in the sci.data.formats
- an Embedded Language for Remote Operation Services from
Lawrence Livermore, supports
distribution of scientific applications across multiple computing
platforms by providing an embedded C language system for remote
operations. Its goal is to provide portable, simplified access
to efficient communications services. It is based on ASN.1 (see below).
- Abstract Syntax Notation One is a joint ISO/CCITT standard language for
specifying protocols. It comes with a companion standard defining
"Basic Encoding Rules" defining translations of protocols specifications
written in the abstract notation into concrete sequences of bits and bytes.
There is a short
Introduction to ASN.1 and the "Packed Encoding Rules" available from
Next Generation project page.
- Interactive Book and Authoring System
- Standards FAQs
- Hypertext versions of or pointers to FAQs of
- Parallel Processing FAQs
- includes references to MPI (Message Passing Interface industry standard)
and to PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine).
- Quail/OpenMath Project (J. Oberholzer, U. Waterloo)
- reports on experience trying to provide OpenMath support for
(Quantitative Analysis in LISP).
Need pointers to Camino Real,
IETF, ISO, Association for Font Information Interchange,
and many more; both online and paper references are welcome.
Back to the OpenMath Home Page.
28 Jul 1995