Selected fan mail
These selected letters are not representative in a statistical sense – however, they might give a first impression of fan letter writing in the 1910s (and early 1920s). Unlike in our upcoming project publications, strict philological editing principles have not been applied to the transcripts and translations shown here. The English translations provided should be considered as preliminary working translations.
The letters are shown by courtesy of the Danish Film Institute, the University Library Lund and the Royal Library Copenhagen. Please contact us if you have rights to these letters – we do not want to infringe these rights.
- Pavel Pavlovitsch Pirkovskij-ter-Prytynkovich (Russia), 2.2.1913, to Clara Wieth
- Erna von Dassel (Germany), 28.1.1914, to Olaf Fønss
- Herna López (Cuba), 7.12.1914, to Betty Nansen
- Maria von Wallenstern (Germany), 21.7.1916, to Valdemar Psilander
- Csöby Keresztény & Idus Réthy (Hungary), 27.6.1917, to Olaf Fønss
- Libor Navrátil (Czechoslovakia), 1.2.1920, to Olaf Fønss
- Olof Appelqvist (Sweden), 13.4.1920, to Asta Nielsen
- Else Krebs (Germany), 16.9.1922, to Olaf Fønss
(DFI, the only existing fan letter to Valdemar Psilander)